Journo Heroes, Pt. 2

Russell Wayne Baker




Although not post WWII himself, being born in 1925, he actually just died last year, and started his journalism career in the late 1940s. Part of the reason I chose to report him was because he lived about 95 years, through many.. many different phases and changes of journalism, especially from when he started writing. 

Russell was born in Virginia in August of 1925 and died also in Virginia at the end of January, 2019. I love that he lived so long doing what he wanted to do and got to see the changes in the career as they happened, witnessing them first hand. Another big reason I chose him was because he moved around a lot and was living in New Jersey for a period of time. Not only was it fascinating to see that, but moving around so frequently with only his mother and sister, gives new insight and experience to write about! I love that. 

Something else I love about this man was that he focused his journalism style on humor and satire! For someone who started their career in 1947, focusing on political satire and regular humor is fascinating to me. I like to think that I write 'humorously' here in my blog posts mostly because that is the inner dialogue running in my head, and it is what I enjoy the most. I think it is inspiring to see someone start that so far back in history, since it is very prevalent today. 

The man won a Pulitzer Prize in 1979 for commentary. How awesome is that? I would love to be able to win a Pulitzer Price not only for being a good, talented writer, but for BEING FUNNY? I just adore this gentleman. 

Before his prestigious award, he wrote for a few newspapers in all different states. He started at The Baltimore Sun, then went to The Washington Bureau of The New York Times, then most famously wrote the column, "The Observer." 
Some of his other very noteworthy accomplishments and pieces are as follows:
Russell Baker, Pulitzer-Winning Times Columnist and Humorist, Dies ...
  • Pulitzer Price for Biography 1983
  • The Good Times (the sequel to^) in 1889
  • An American In Washington 1961
  • No Cause for Panic 1964
  • Poor Russell's Almanac (see, humor.) 1972
  • wrote the musical play Home Again, Home Again 1979
  • Masterpiece Theatre TV Show in 1993
  • Russell Baker's Book of American Humor 1993
  • very last NY Time Observer Column - Christmas 1998
  • Looking Back: Heroes, Rascals, and Other Icons of the American Imagination 2002
Overall, he was an extremely well respected and successful journalist, writing on a range of topics from politics to cartoons. He worked for most of his life, and held prominent positions at multiple newspapers, winning two Pulitzer Prize's before he died! Russell had a great head on his shoulders and did great things with his life, dying at the age of 95. 


Comments

  1. What a great choice! I'm surprised you know of Russ Baker. He was a fixture in the world of journalism throughout my 20 years in the business. Read him nearly every week. I did not know he won a Pulitzer for biography (about whom?). I also was not aware of his 2002 book "Looking Back," which I am definitely going to order immediately. Thanks for teaching me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts