U.S. Supreme Court History

I have not ever really dove down deep, or even scratched the surface of, the supreme court. In my high school history courses, we did not touch upon the supreme court in as much depth as I would have thought necessary. Therefore, I did not know much about the supreme court until I watch these two videos. Here are the things I want to say and my findings.

After watching the two videos, I have concluded that the first one was far more interesting. I learned more from watching the first one than I did from watching the second one. For some reason, the man who was interviewing the few justices at the table in the end of the first film asked questions that I found intriguing and wanted to know the answers to.

I found it absolutely fascinating how little women were featured in this documentary. I suppose I had no predisposed notion as to how many women were or are serving on the court, but I was shocked to know it was only four and one of which does not serve any longer. With such a progressive way of life nowadays, I am just taken aback that more women were not honored to serve in this way. Going along with that, there was also only one man of African American decent featured in the film. Much like women, I thought this would be a higher statistic! I suppose, as well, that I can not be surprised because we did just have our first black president only ten years ago.

Something else I rather enjoyed about this video was how well all of the judges seemed to get along. They did such a remarkable job at letting each other speak when the interviewer asked the questions. No one interrupted each other, or even so much as batted an eye when the man asked questions. It was as if they knew already who was going to answer, and they were so respectful of each other even if they did not all agree. I really admired that; the interview was very quiet, calm, and collected. It reflected so well on the justices too, showing how they really are meticulous and patient in how they behave.

I learned that the average time a justice is appointed is around 16 years, but they have and can stayed as  much as double that! Since there have been so few justices in U.S. History, I think he said about 100, I am not too shocked that their 'term' was so long. It also says to  me that many of the justices enjoy and love their job and that it is so fulfilling they stay for decades. Many of them out- stay the president that appointed them, which was such a staggering statistic for me to hear, though makes sense.

Overall, I did learn more than I thought I was going to, and I am glad that it was in a slow paced format that was easy to follow. I found the history much more interesting than I thought I was going to and I can say that I am happy I watched both videos.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWRoXYRsaeo&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca8qSuWxcG8&feature=youtu.be

Comments

Popular Posts